Dr. Z. S. Meharwal
Dr. Z. S. Meharwal
Designation: Director at Fortis Escort Heart Institute
Departments: Cardiothoracic Surgery
• Dr. Z. S. Meharwal, Director and Coordinator, Department of Cardiovascular Surgery at Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, is one the most renowned cardiac surgeons in India with over 7000 surgeries to his credit.
• Part of the founding team of Doctors at Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, Dr. Meharwal has been one of the core team of Doctors responsible for the global recognition earned by Fortis Escorts Heart Institute as a centre of excellence for clinical cardiac sciences. Every month, he performs an average of 60-70 open cardiac procedures including coronary artery bypass grafting, valve, combined valve and CABG, and aortic surgery.
Education and awards
• Born in 1957, Dr. Meharwal completed his MBBS, MS and M.Ch from King George’s Medical College, Lucknow.
• He has an E.C.F.M.G Certificate from United States of America.
• He has been conferred with various awards including President’s award for his contribution in the field of cardiac surgery.
• Dr. Meharwal’s areas of interest include Off pump coronary artery bypass surgery, CABG in patients with poor ventricular function, valve repair and replacement, surgery of ascending aortic aneurysm and dissections, peripheral vascular surgery and combined CABG and carotid endarterectomy.
• He has to his credit a large number of research papers and studies extending the frontiers of clinical cardiac sciences in India. He has also authored sections in medical books on cardiology.
• He has worked as consultant cardiac surgeon at Prestigious King’s College Hospital in London where he has been actively involved in teaching undergraduate and postgraduate students.
• He is a keen trainer and has trained many cardiac surgeons in UK and in India.
• He is the Programme Coordinator of DNB (Diplomat National Board) Cardiothoracic Surgery at Escorts Heart Institute.